Sunday, April 29, 2018

boundary



and now I’m confused
put off and cut off by
a boundary a line in
the sand that cannot be
crossed I cannot forget
the image of you throwing
a tantrum the drama of which
belonged on stage but for the fact
that was really happening in front of
me as I silently watched unable to
process it because I have never borne
witness to such behavior and for that I
am grateful and no I was
not afraid nor was I angry instead I sat
in quiet disbelief to the episode that unfolded
before me and as quickly as you started you ended
not because you caught yourself but because somehow
you’d finished what you had to say nay scream nay howl
nay roar though that word implies the king of beasts
the lion in all its magnificence and glory
neither of which describe what I watched and now when
I look at you I can’t forget that you were that person even
as you go back to being yourself I cannot forget the violence
that became your demeanor and how easily you transformed and
how I now weigh the possibilities of enduring another momentary loss
of control and how now I am wont to confront you even gently for fear
of a repeat performance so yes now, I am cut off and put off by a boundary a line
in the sand that cannot be crossed because I cannot forget what happened
©Karen Casady2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

fallback

and denial creeps in it has a way about it surreptitious silent habitual  the fallback the go to the familiar a wise mechanism protective sa...